Let's Play Some Old Games!

#Why not play some old games?

Over the past few weeks we have been chatting in our Discord Server about all those fun Half-Life 2 (among others) mods that we used to play. Since our last game night was such a success, we have decided to open our series of game nights with a terrifying Half-Life 2 mod named The Hidden. Thanks to @cha0s5150 for suggesting it!

##What’s The Hidden all About?

Here’s a little excerpt from their site:

Mission Briefing : Hunt down an invisible enemy.
The Infinitum Research Intercept Squad (I.R.I.S.) is on the hunt for a fugitive, the subject of a secret genetic experiment, who is known only as Subject 617. The Good News : The IRIS team is well trained, well armed and co-ordinated.

The Bad News : The genetic manipulation has given Subject 617 enhanced speed, mobility and incredible strength - he can pounce like a tiger, cling to any surface and is known to pin victims up for feeding. Worst of all, the experiments have rendered him nearly invisible to the human eye. This is why he is simply known as … The Hidden

But words are just words. Here’s some gameplay!

##Join us!

We will be (hopefully) testing the Hidden over the New Years weekend for impromptu games celebration style. Join our Discord Server to get in on the games!

How to play

So, we aren’t actually going to use The Hidden mod. It is quite old and Linux dedicated server support is broken (looks like the same issues Eternal Silence had). Thankfully, they provided a Garry’s mod solution to bridge the gap between now and then.

Jump to the next post to get some information on how to get the game up to snuff and ready to play on Garry’s mod its easy.

Install Instructions in an easy step by step format!

Step 1:

Get the hidden garry’s mod addon!

Step 2:

Extract the folder in the zip file you just downloaded above into your garry’s mod addons folder. Here is an example Garry’s Mod path: [wherever steam is installed]\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\addons

So if you have garry’s mod installed to c:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\ you would throw it inside:
c:\Program Files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\GarrysMod\garrysmod\addons\

Step 3:

Run garry’s mod and connect to: hidden.f7lans.com

Step 4:

???

Step 5:

Profit!

I have only played The Hidden once, and that one only time was at a LAN. Funnern’ shit.

That’s how I played it also :stuck_out_tongue:

Still got some bugs to work out! It was playable but there was some problems with other people’s textures and such. Hope to figure out a fix soon!

So I may have some good news! I believe we got it working up to par and hopefully without errors.

Weeee!