Briggs-Myers Personality Test

I’m not sure if anyone finds this sort of thing as interesting as I do, but I figured I’d share this site and see what became of it. For anyone who doesn’t know, the Briggs-Myers Personality Test is supposed to isolate four big aspects of your personality (Introversion/Extroversion, Intuitive/Sensing, Thinking/Feeling, and Judging/Perception) and provide a general assessment of what those four together create. I thought it would be fun for those so inclined to post their results and any comments they had about them. For instance:

Result: INTJ

I found this line to be a particularly apt description: “A paradox to most observers, INTJs are able to live by glaring contradictions that nonetheless make perfect sense – at least from a purely rational perspective. For example, INTJs are simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealists and the bitterest of cynics, a seemingly impossible conflict.”

A Run Down of the Letters:

Introvert/Extrovert doesn’t refer to whether you’re outgoing or not. It’s a reference to whether or not you feel more rested when spending time alone or out in groups.

Intuitive/Sensing are, as I’ve take nto understanding them, references to whether a person is more abstract in their interests or more concrete, respectively.

Thinking/Feeling are supposed to show whether a person is more swayed by rationality or emotionality.

Lastly, Judging/Perceiving are the hardest to define. Essentially, they are supposed to show how much a person embraces rules and order in their lives. Judging is the trait associated with a fondness for rules, whereas Perceiving is a general dislike of them.

There is a fifth trait included in this test that I’m not as familiar with, but I’m pretty sure that Assertive/Turbulent is a descriptor of how a person acts under stress. I don’t think the site treats as interacting with the other traits to the extent the interact with each other.

Disclaimer: A lot of people worry about getting a “bad” result but, frankly, I don’t think that’s really a possibility for this kind of test. It’s just a fun thing to do and, at most, might put words to something that you haven’t been able to properly vocalize about yourself

I feel like its pretty spot on:

There are HUGE problems with the MBTI (it is Myers-Briggs not the other way around) and a quick lit search or even a read through the wikipedia article will point out many of them. Might as well open up a fortune cookie, read a horoscope or ask a magic eight ball.

You would be better off using the MMPI as at least that has internal validation to detect lying from the subject. But that has over 500 questions and takes 1-2 hours to complete so it doesn’t make for cute sliding bars and a fast, clickbaity, answer that you can post to Facebook or publish to Buzzfeed.

Here is an easy to read article that illustrates some of the issues.

:wink:

Wasn’t intending to be condescending. Just assumed that since I didn’t have the energy or the time to read through peer-reviewed articles about this no one else would either. That is why I provided a popular science article since it is both shorter and easier to read.

But since you have nothing to contribute to the conversation other than a poorly done meme I’m guessing you didn’t bother to put much reading into this topic. Now, THAT, was condescending.

:wink:

For anyone actually interested in why the MBTI is an issue it is because employers have used and continue to use it as a part of job applications or promotions even tho the science for it lackluster to say the least. Using pseudoscience in the place of hard science is dangerous and has no place in a modern society.

Easyyyyyyy, I was just in the mood to mess with you, which is why I added a wink! :smiley:

And yes I was too bored to read the article.

Don’t worry, I added a wink too.

Lol, I was wondering when/if anyone would bring this up (you’re not in the psychology field are you? :p). I do, generally, describe the Myers-Briggs as a scientific horoscope (‘scientific’ in the rhetoric, if nothing else), but I didn’t want to say that in the initial post for fear that someone might roll their eyes and pass over something they would otherwise enjoy --which is exactly what I did when a friend of mine first tried to get me to take it.

Frankly, I would never advocate using this test for professional, clinical, or academic purposes. I’ve heard terrible horror stories about people trying to live their lives around their MBTI result. That’s why I tried to stress this as a fun thing to do in a person’s spare time. I figure most people will take the test, get the result, read up on it a bit, have a laugh, and forget about it all shortly after.

I, personally, love personality tests --at least the ones that try to take themselves seriously --because they can get me thinking about how accurate, or not, the test result is. That thought can lead to anything from researching the test in question (generally if the result doesn’t match up at all) to thinking a bit about how I think or talk. In this case, it was more of the latter. In short, I tend to like this test simply because it provides an interesting frame of reference to use when looking at myself and also gives me some food for thought regarding how I conduct myself.

I do appreciate you taking the time to bring up points that I didn’t want to address initially for fear of creating a giant and uninteresting wall of text.

You don’t have link to the MPPI-2 that I could take online for free, do you? It seemed like it could be an interesting way to fill up some dead time.

I love that the only “digest” I got this week was this one thread. And the only thing that came in the digest was Ouch’s picture. XD

That said, I also like personality test. For the MBTI I regularly test INTJ, but J/P is often 50/50 split, so Ehhhh. >.>

I would take the longer one if it was free online, and I was given ridiculous amounts of “What the heck are we doing??” time at work.